Let’s continue to talk and share, but with our people, professionals are generally more concerned about liability than you or your child. Choose wisely.
Some of my thoughts about this article, if you’re interested.
1. Fear is part of what keeps us quiet when we should be sharing the most. Becoming a parent is one of the most significant transitions we will make. The more we can connect with others in this transition, the greater our ability to move through the challenges with minimal incident.
2. DHS and CPS are broken organizations. I know first hand as I have worked with them in 3 different states in 3 different regions of the country. Too many serious choices are made based on value judgements and ignorance of research. Intrusive thoughts are actually common for ALL of us. Just because we think something does NOT mean we will act on it. Also, this mothers report that she was disturbed by her thoughts is a protective factor.
3. This is about liability. The nurse then OB then ER staff were all more concerned about liability “in case” she does follow through than the damage of separation. I’ve seen this more times than I can count.
4. PLEASE TELL if you’re struggling. But tell someone who KNOWS you. Most of us just need to be heard and understood. Reminded that we are not the only ones experiencing something and given support to reduce tension. I’ve done this MANY times with myself, friends, loved ones and clients.
5. Any medical or educational professional is a MANDATED REPORTER. THIS MEANS THEY ARE LEGALLY OBLIGATED TO REPORT ANY SUICIDAL OR HOMICIDAL THOUGHTS / ACTIONS. If they themselves are not qualified to evaluate your level of risk, and most aren’t, they are obligated to transfer to someone who can. Unfortunately, the act of a transfer in and of itself can increase alarm unnecessarily. Please choose your sharing carefully in this setting.
If you’re looking for a place to support movement through life’s challenges. A place where you will not be judged. A place where you can connect with other people going through similar life experiences. Check out my website for current offerings.
So very much love.